Thursday, May 17, 2012

Home Again

David and I learned this week that traveling with two kids isn't as difficult as we would have thought.. Thankfully, our drives to and from Alabama went smoothly in the kid department. Caroline literally didn't cry on the way up until we pulled into our hotel at 3:30 a.m. She generally sleeps one eight or nine hour stretch a night so we figured traveling at night would allow us to get some driving in between feedings. We're glad it worked out that way. Riley was a little bit fussy during the night, but I think that's because she had a tough time getting comfortable in her car seat. 

IMG_1180

Our few days in Alabama were wonderful. I don't know if it's because we surprised David's parents or because I now have a little girl that joins in the fun, but I think this was my favorite visit yet (and they're always fun!). I loved playing with my cousins when I was little and have been eager for Riley to be able to enjoy hers (my girls have seven in AL). It's so nice that David's sisters and parents do such a good job of talking about and Skyping with us so we don't seem like strangers the few times a year we get to be together.

IMG_0498

Between talking, watching the kids play, and eating great food, we fit in three church services and a trip to a museum. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear much of the messages because I was out with Caroline; I'm definitely going to have to listen to them online this week. 

IMG_1047

I did get to enjoy Early Works Children's Museum, though. It's a historical museum that's filled with wonderful hands-on learning opportunities including period dress up clothes and a life-sized ship. Riley was too young to understand the exhibits, but she definitely enjoyed being able to touch everything. We plan on going back on future visits when she's able to "get" more of the history of it all. 

It's always fun to go, but it's definitely nice to be back home safely. We had an accident on the way home involving a broken window. Glass went everywhere including both girls' car seats, but God was merciful and neither of our little girls had a scratch. I'm so thankful that God is better to me than I deserve.

Side note: Our nieces and nephews are beautiful and sweet and I would love to share them with you, but some of our family is uncomfortable having their kids faces on the internet. Because most of the photos from this week are of Riley playing with her cousins or Caroline being held by one or another, there aren't too many photos I can share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment