Saturday, June 23, 2012

Preschool at Home Weeks 9 & 10

Sensory Bin Fun

To be honest, we've been taking it easy in the preschool department lately. David was traveling last week; Caroline and I were away with him this week. Preparing for those trips didn't leave much time for our usual activities. While I had hoped to do some fun stuff, it is summer and we are going to have to be flexible. While David was out of town, we did at least shop for and make our first sensory bin.

Summer Sensory Bin

If you're not familiar with sensory bins, they're just what they sound like - a tub filled with items that appeal to a child's senses. In our case, Riley could hear the rice crunch as she moved items around; she could feel the textures of the rice, paper, and ribbon as she manipulated the items; and she could see the bright colors of the flowers and butterflies I placed in the bin. They also provide children with opportunities to use their fine motor skills, transfer items from one container to another, and sort items by color or category. For more information on their purpose, see this post on sensory bins at A Purpose Driven Home

In our Summery Sensory Bin, we included the following:
  • Rice dyed green (I put a couple cups of rice in a ziplock bag, added two squirts of hand sanitizer, and food coloring until I got the color I wanted)
  • Brown basket filler paper
  • Red and white polka dotted ribbon
  • Silk flowers and butterflies
  • Pieces of yarn
  • Rubber bugs
  • Leaves
  • Fake grass
Toddler Sensory Bin

I put all these items in a dollar store tub and let Riley go to town. I provided tweezers, spoons, and containers for her to use as she was playing. Riley's favorite part of the whole experience was playing with the green rice as if it were sand. She also liked to pretend she was eating it... a good reminder that you can't let kids play with this unattended.

Sensory Bin Fun
Mess from Sensory Bin

As I'm sure you can imagine, we had quite a bit of "deen rice" on our rug. Believe it or not, the noise of the rice being swept up by the vacuum cleaner did not appeal to Riley's senses. I'm still finding random pieces of green rice under toys and behind baskets. I'm thankful Caroline's not crawling around yet or I would have needed to be much more careful not to miss any pieces when we were cleaning up. 

Lasso the Moon
 

Weekend Bloggy Reading


    Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios & Lattes
Saturday Show and Share at I Can Teach My Child
Making the World Cuter Monday at Make the World Cuter

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I love the idea of dying rice. I have dyed noodles but never rice! Easy and simple; love it! Thanks for sharing on Saturday Show & Tell at Cheerios and Lattes this weekend!
    If you're interested, we would love to invite you to also link this up to the Summer Activities for Toddlers Collection! Here's a quick link: http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/summer-activities-for-toddlers/ This would be a perfect activity to do with young ones!
    Have a great week and hope to see you again next weekend! :)
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas! I am going to start fish activities this week with my about to be 2 year old.

    ReplyDelete